First Amendment Rights

Most people don’t know how lucky they are to have First Amendment Rights. Although some many not know it, First Amendment RIghts applies to everyone including high school and elementary students. These students have these rights to a certain extent on school grounds.

In the Morse v. Fredrick case, a student was expelled for holdinga sign that said “Bong hits 4 Jesus”. Principal Morse brought the case all the way to the Supreme Court. The court ruled that Morse didn’t violate his First Amendment Rights becuase it was a school-sponsored event.

The court said that schools may take steps to safeguard those entrusted to their care from speech that can be regarded as encouraging illegal drug use.

In June of 2014, a Minnesota student was suspended and threatened with expulsion for a tweet. The tweet said, “Actually yeah” in response to an anonymous website called “Roger confessions.” According to the lawsuit, the family asked for a hearing but the school threatened to extend his expulsion.

Stated in the student press law center, Sagehorn’s lawsuit argued his First Amendment Rights were violated by suspending him for his tweet because he posted it outside of school hours, off school grounds, not at a school-sponsored event and without using school property.Also, Sagehorn’s lawsuit said that they violated his right to due process guaranteed under the Fourteenth Amendment by threatened to extend his expulsion if they requested a hearing.

In the movie “Live Free” many examples of First Amendment Rights were shown. Many people came together in Texas to Protest the Ku Klux Klan, but even then, they still had the right to free speech.

The First Amendment Rights are important because it guarantees that you can speak your mind.